Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Footprints in the Sand

So I'm hitting the lull in the semester when I start to question 
"Why am I here?"

I go to a small Christian University on the East Coast.
I am majoring in Elementary Education and the Bible.
I work in the Admission office and babysit.
So what? Why does this matter?
I am here because God brought me here.
I am here to learn, grow, challenge, thrive, discover.
I am here to grow into the woman that God has made me to be.
I am here to do His work in His time.
I have a vision and goal to get done school "early."
[Getting 5 years worth of education done in 4.]
This week that goal is stressing me out.
I know I can do it because right now it's only an extra 2 classes.
But why am I doing this?
Well one, my parents and I are going to save over $30,000.
Right there I'm sold to keep going and work my butt off.
Second, I started this and now I have to finish it.

But it all seems to silly at times though. I just want to skip ahead.
I just want to get a job, get married, and have some kiddos.
The future looks a whole lot better to me than sitting here doing homework.
But I am in school and working because this is the season I'm in.
God puts us through different times [seasons] and this is mine.
My current season = school and work.
I need to stop rushing ahead to all the "better" things,
and stop to smell the coffee I make each morning.
I need to breathe for a minute longer in the morning
when I pass the beautiful pond on a crisp fall day.
I am here because I have been called to be here,
so I need to do it well and for the glory of God.
I know that for many of us, we are looking ahead on the path.
But what about what is right around you at this moment?
Don't forget about the life you are currently living
because you are too caught up staring at the horizon.
Keep your goals. Keep your dreams.
But don't forget to enjoy life because you only get one!
Some of life's seasons are going to be hard though.
This one for me can be challenging and stressful.
But I can make the best out of it because I have faith.
I know that nothing in life is going to be easy,
but I have God to lean on and get me through it.
"Sometimes God calms the storm.
Sometimes He lets the storm rage
 and calms His child."
So stop and breathe for a minute and look around you.
All of these pictures were taken by me from around the world.
Africa, Alaska, Chile, Haiti, New Jersey.
If I had been rushing, I would have missed these bits of heaven,
but I stopped and took in God's amazing creation!
The poem below is well known and I love it!
I felt it fitting because with the change of seasons,
when summer fades to fall,
it is important to remember
1) God has us go through many different seasons in our life
but 2) He is always there to carry us through them.
Footprints in the Sand
[mine above in Malawi, Africa]

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes form my life flashed across the sky.

In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there was only one.

This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints, so I said to the Lord,

"You promised me Lord, that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying period of my life
there has only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?"

The Lord replied, 
"The years when you have seen only one set of footprints,
my child, is when I carried you."


AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love! xoxo