Friday, August 19, 2011

Thrifting Addiction



I'm a sucker for a good thrift store! Put me in any store and I will find tons of stuff that I wanna buy and take home with me. Everything has a story that is personal, unique and priceless. I call all my finds character pieces. (I'm going to open a business called Character Pieces one day, so the name is copyrighted to me!) Anyways, I buy lots of things at thrift stores or yard sales that I end up fixing up and putting my own little twist on. It's an addiction. I need to go thrifting every couple weeks or I go through withdraw. "Hi. My name is Kelsey, and I'm addicted to thrift stores." HAHA! That sounds so pathetic. Oh well. This is me - take it or leave it peeps. My parents laugh at me but enjoy seeing what I come home with, but my brother shakes his head and tells me to go buy new things at Target. They don't quite get it.

So now that you know my addiction - let me show you my beauties that I found today! Every month on the third Friday all the crazies, like me, go out to the Care and Share Thrift Shoppes.  Now these stores, five total, are fantastic on non sale days! All five have separate weekly sales  and then this one big sale every month. I go shopping there when I'm bored or passing by and have a half hour because I always find something! I recently got some amazing plates, fabric, lace, and an amazing jewelry box the other week.

Today I decided not to go right at 10 (opening time) but wait an hour or so. Well I barely found a spot an hour after the stores opened. I guess that was a bad idea because now all the really big crazies had found their stuff and were loading it up and just running everywhere. But I finally found a spot and headed right for the book store. I'm a sucker for anything really,  but old books - that's a real weak spot of mine. I found 9 amazing old books today and 3 newer ones I wanted to read. Total = $10.00. BAM. The old books were kids books, poems, and stories by all different people. I put them in and on my desk that I redid the other week (click it). They definitely were the missing piece in making the desk look old but new. I love love love them :) After that I made my way for a quick look in the Outlet Store. Everything is super super super cheap there (under 75 cents cheap). I didn't find anything I really needed there, so I went to the Variety Store. I found an amazing old suitcase (3 bucks!!!), 50 cent lace pieces, an old brush and mirror set, a tall box that goes with hat boxes I bought a while ago, two coffee signs, and a Paris sign with hooks on it (I love Paris and am dying to go!). Total = $20.00. BAM BAM!! Now that is some great steals people! I went with a budget of 30 dollars and spent only that! All the cute old people loved my suitcase and commented on my finds :)
Here they are:



So here are some pointers for all those who are interested in thrifting or just want some pointers! They are just the top ten things that I feel anyone should think about or do when trying to find some amazing character pieces.



1. Have a budget. It's important to stick to a certain amount that is decided on before entering the store(s) or you might get caught up in "all the great finds and buys" you see. I have found this to be the best helpful tip someone gave me!
2. Know need vs want. Of course if I had it my way I would buy everything I could ever want. However, there isn't enough space in my room or house for all of that. Stick to those few key character pieces that you love or really do need.
3. Take cash. Some stores are still only taking cash, and the last thing you want is to find some great pieces and not be able to pay for them!
4. Take your time and do the circuit. Walk around the whole store if possible to get the layout of it. Never leave a rock unturned! Grab the things you love or need right away because it might not be there when you go back. Take your time but have a time frame or you might be in there all day (believe me)!
5. Know the sales. Most stores have their sales posted online, but if they don't - call them up and ask if there are any upcoming sales. I always ask when I'm at a store when their sales are and if there are any special upcoming events.
6. Find out the restock days. Most stores are constantly getting new things in. Ask when they restock their stuff and show up that day. Some places close for a day and restock then. If that is the case, go the next day! There are always people cleaning out grandma's attic and taking things to thrift stores.
7. Look beyond what you see. There are some things that appear to be a little rough or useless. Tap into that creative side of your brain and think. Many pieces need some touch up paint or a little work and then they are true beauties! But know when the pieces should be left alone as well.
8. Have a use in mind. Know what you are going to do with the item(s) before you buy them. If you are going to be creative, then have a general idea of what you are going to do. Try to not just buy something random that you like without any real purpose in mind.
9. Be nice. Some people get so wrapped up into the latest sale and great finds that they forget their manners. The people that work at the stores aren't going to want to help mean people out. So hold the door, let people pass you, and use your manners. Please and thank you go a long way.
10. Don't be afraid to leave empty-handed. There are times when it is time to just put the cash back in your wallet, put the empty basket down, and get out your car keys. Not every time is going to be an amazing thrifting session. Don't lose heart though - keep looking.

I hope that you find all of these tips helpful! Let me know what great things you find when out on your next thrifting adventure :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love! xoxo