Friday, August 12, 2011

A Little Dorm This and a Little Dorm That

So it's that time of year again.
The final weeks before school starts.
Well I am excited but sad at the same time.
I can't wait to be back with my roomie and friends,
but I am so sad that my best friend won't be with me this year.
My roomie last year had to leave school after a semester for
her own personal reasons, and it was the best move for her.
But this week my best friend told me that she isn't coming back
to our school this year and is pursuing a different career.
I am so happy both of the girls are doing what they need to do -
but I am sure that school is never going to be quite the same.
My best fliends will just have to come visit me more :)

Anyways, enough  of the sob story from the little heart broken student.
Let's get to the goods! 
Dorm. Room. Goodies.
I love moving into my dorm room every year! :)
I move the furniture. Set up some stuff. Move the furniture again.
Hang pictures and posters and decorations all over my room.
Just to take them down because we're moving around again!
It is just so fun! :) And then everyone comes in because you
officially have the "cutest room!"
I love it all!

So this year I decided to make some new pieces for my room.
I want things that could work in my room at home or in my dorm.
My mom asked me to take pictures and blog about it (thanks mom!).
So here are some of my room decorations :) yayyy!
I can't wait to move in and hang these babies up and put them around!

Project #1: The Whiteboard.

What You Need:
A frame with glass (had)
Paper (had)
Fun scrap book paper ($0.70)
Paint chips (free!)
Ribbon ($2.50)
Lace ($1 for 2 yards)
Hot glue (had)
Watered down glue ($0.40)
Tape (had)
Total Cost: $4.60

How-to:
 Do It Yourself1. Tape paper to the back of the frame
2. Place and tape the fun scrape book paper down on one side.
3. Cut your paint chips into equal sizes. (I made mine too big and redid them twice)
4. Layout your paint chips out and glue them down.
5. Hot glue ribbon down between the rows and columns.
6. Label the days and add in anything else for little touches. (I added a notes area)
7. Place some lace at the bottom and secure with hot glue.
8. Hot glue lace as the hanger to the back.

Final Product: A customized whiteboard that is banging cute :)
Project #2: Personalized Square Artwork

What You Need:
4 square pieces of art ($6)
2 canvases ($2)
6 pieces of scrape book paper ($2.50)
Mod Podge ($8 for big container)
Hot glue (had)
Scissors (had)
Pencil (had)
Total Cost: $10.50

How-to: Do It Yourself
1. Trace the canvas or other wooden piece on the back of the paper.
2. Measure extra space on each side so the paper can be wrapped.
3. Cut out the square.
4. Mod Podge the paper and the wooden piece and glue together.
5. Cut out squares in the corners for easy wrapping.
6. Mod Podge the paper and the sides.
7. Hold down for 30 seconds to make sure it's dry.
8. Repeat steps 2-7 on all non canvas pieces.
9. Hot glue the edges of the canvas and stick the paper to it. (Mod Podge is a no go.)
10. Cut out the corners to make it easier to wrap the sides.
11. Hot glue the wooden canvas sides and wrap paper around it.
12. Coat all paper 2 times with Mod Podge to make sure the paper is sealed.


Final Product: Great customized artwork that can be hung or placed around.

Project #3: Lace Picture Frame

What You Need:
Picture Frame (had)
Lace ($4.00 for 5 yards)
Picture (print off)
Hot glue (had)
Scissors (had)
Tape (had)
Total Cost: under $1.00

How-to: Do It Yourself
1. Layout the lace and cut with extra at the top and bottom.
2. Hot glue the edge of the glass and place lace on top.
3. Hot glue the lace where the frame will cover.
(mine had the center wooden aspect that I hot glued around)
4. Secure all lace with hot glue and add a little tape if needed. (I didn't need to)
5. Pop the glass into the frame. (It should fit snug because of the extra lace on the edges)
6. Cut down the extra lace on the back.
7. Tape your photo to the front so it can be changed easily.

Final Product: Frame with a vintage twist to it.

Project #4: Quotation Canvas

What You Need:
Canvas ($5.00)
Letters ($2.00)
Paint ($3.00)
String (had)
Scissors (had)
Sponges (4 for $2.00)
Plates (had)
Total Cost: $12.00

How-to: Do It Yourself
1. Pick a quote and layout the letters on the canvas.
2. Make sure the letter are pressed onto the canvas firmly.
3. Use string or yarn to create the squares so that there is white space.
4. Make sure the sponge fits into each square.
5. Map out what colors are going to go where on the canvas.

6. Use a sponge for each color and sponge on the paint.
7. Let it dry.
8. Use the sponges to wrap the paint along the edges.
9.Peal off the letters.
10. Use white paint to do any touch up on the letters.
Final Project: An amazing personalized canvas with my favorite quote.


Project #5:
 Large paperclip photo holders

What You Need:
2 Large Wooden Paperclips ($0.02)
Mod Podge (had)

Scrapbook Paper (had)
Paint (had)
Total Cost: $0.02
How-to: Do It Yourself

1. Paint the wooden paper clips. (I painted one and left one alone).
2. Trace the side of the paper clip onto the paper.
3. Use Mod Podge and glue on the paper.
4. Coat the paper with another layer of Mod Podge.
5. Let dry.
Final Project: Sweet and fun photo clips.




The End.I'll post pictures of all these in my dorm room once I move in:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love! xoxo