Tuesday, August 2, 2011

School Desk Freshened Up

So on my infamous list I said that I wanted to
"be more thrifty and craft more."

I love to be creative and make things,
but I have to say that blogs like this or that,
and of course pinterest, have all really inspired me more.


I guess it all started on a Saturday morning at a random yard sale.
I spotted this old school desk from the car and looked at my mom.
She told me to go look at how much it was. My heart almost stopped.
One dollar. You have got to be kidding me?!! A single dollar for this baby.
"SOLD!" I said before anyone could blink :) So I sorted through some books,
but I was beside myself that I was the proud owner of this baby desk.
I saw it having lots of potential and being a fun project for my summer.

cue before and during pictures:


























I got home and cleaned her up, but she really was in great shape.
Then I went online and started thinking of ideas right away for her.
I decided to spray paint it lavender and restain the wood to its original color.
I went over to Home Depot and got some spray paint, stain and a brush.
My total investment at this point would be right around $9 dollars.

I sprayed it that night at like ten o'clock because I was so excited!
I stained it a couple days later (with the help of my lovely boy of course).
And I decided to add some gold detail to it on the desk top pencil holder.
The gold isn't totally done because I'm still thinking of a pattern
that I'll stencil onto the metal part of the desk.

cue after and placement pictures:


























I love that on the back of the chair you can see where another desk hit it too hard.
I love that the paint and stain are so vibrant and wonderful :)

There you have it - you have officially met the new member of my room :)
I guess with this you can now see that I am indeed being thrifty and crafty!
I mean for real - a pretty corner accessory that I bought and redid for under $9.
I'll take it and do it for that price any day! :)

Happy crafting and thrifting people :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love! xoxo