Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Where were you?

Where were you on that Tuesday? 
You know the one I mean - September 11, 2001.


I had always heard my parents and grandparents talk about where they were when JFK was shot and wondered what it had been like to get that news. I finally know the feeling now. 10 years later - everyone asks, "Where were you when the World Trade Centers fell?" or "What did you think was going on that day?"

I was ten years old and in the fifth grade.
I went to a Christian school and no one told me what was happening.
I knew something was up because the teachers were acting weird.
They kept crying and leaving the classroom.
The principle let so many people just randomly leave school early.
My teacher told me that my mom would be home when I got there.
Something had happened  - but I had no idea what.

I got home and my mom, who worked almost an hour away, was on the phone.
She told me not to turn on the television, but it was almost 4pm.
And any ten year old girl in 2001 could tell you what came on every day at 4pm.
No not Oprah - 7th Heaven! If you don't know the show - shame on you!
Anyways, I loved the show and never missed an episode. So on came the TV.


"AMERICA UNDER ATTACK."
"AMERICA AT WAR."

These were the words that came on the TV instead of my favorite show.
I screamed for my Mom, who was not happy that I had turned on the TV,
and she came out of her office to explain it all to me and my brother.

I couldn't believe that America - my home - was under attack.
We were always on top of the world and no one ever messed with us.
Or so I thought.
This was just unbelievable to me.

Who? What? Why?

Well I understand a lot more about that day ten years later.
I have seen our country come together in miraculous ways.
I have seen our country fight back in ways that I didn't know possible.
I have seen those who did this die for what they did.
I have seen and felt the impact on others around me.
I have felt the impact of this event on my own life.

I hug a little tighter. I love a little stronger.
I never let the sun go down on my anger.
I never leave a place without hugs and kisses.
I sometimes worry a little too much.
I think about bad things happening to my loved ones.
I allow airlines to check my luggage and myself for weapons.
I will grow up with this memory shaping the rest of my life.

Never forgotten.
Always in our hearts.
September 11, 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love! xoxo