Wednesday, March 20, 2013

where i am

So I've haven't really been talking too much about what I did this week because I wanted to give an overview at the end of the week....coming Friday! I talked all about dating Mr. Prague this weekend but I didn't really talk about what else I've been up to. Part of that reason is because I've been so overwhelmed and trying to adjust to life here and getting into the school rhythm.


Background to the school: I am teaching at the Christian International School of Prague. The school was just recognized last week by the Ministry of Education as a legitimate school in Prague. It is a requirement that children in The Czech Republic attend a recognized school so technically local, resident and long-term families (not short-term families or missionaries in the country under five years) could get in a lot of trouble for sending their children to a school that has not been recognized. Therefore, the children have been required to take Czech school and classes on top of their education at CISP for the last nine years because it is a requirement that children know a certain amount of Czech each year (grammar, structure, vocabulary). The parents of the students have also been required to submit work to the Ministry of Education to prove that their children are keeping up with their Czech. CISP applied for the tenth time and has finally just received that recognition that they have been after!! I arrived right after this occurred so people are just over the moon ecstatic! Now CISP is trying to get a new building because they're currently sharing a school building with a Czech school. We're praying for that paperwork to go through within the week!

Background to my class: I'm teaching in a combined classroom of 1st and 2nd graders. I have 2 in 1st grade and 6 in 2nd grade. Yes, we have a total of 8 children in the class. Out of the 8, 4 of the children of English Language Learners and 4 of the children are native English speakers. It's definitely something that I'm trying to get used to but they make up for it! The children are all taking Czech classes or enrolled in a Czech school that meets before school or during the first morning special of the day. Half of the kids take an English Language Learners' class to help with their English. 3 of our children are enrolled in a Polish, Russian, or Italian schools twice a week to keep up with their native language. I can't even imagine how they feel with such a busy schedule and so many languages swirling inside of their heads.

Background on weather: It's freezing here and we have quite the winter wonderland. Monday night it snowed about four inches and I woke up to a beautiful city covered in a white snow! It was gorgeous but very wet and slushy to walk in. Nonetheless, the colors of the buildings added to this enchanting winter wonderland. Pictures can't capture the beauty and magnificence of this city!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love! xoxo