Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Travel Ten Commandments

So I've traveled quite a bit for being a twenty-two almost college graduate and I have actually developed a spidey sense for traveling. I know it sounds crazy but there are things that I just assume I have to change and do differently when I step outside of America. So here are my Ten Commandments of traveling:

1. Never drink the tap water.
2. Expect cold showers only twice a week.
3. Carry hand sanitizer at all times.
4. Carry big bags for holding everything (water, food, etc.).
5. Never be too trusting or let people try to fool you.
6. Act like you know what you're doing (even when you don't).
7. Tie the long blonde hair back in a bun or braid.
8. Learn customs, basic language, do and don'ts fast.
9. Drive and ride on the other side of the road.
10. Wear your walking shoes all the time (lots of walking).

Following all these tips will make you a local rather quickly!

So I kicked in my spidey sense somewhere over Europe and was soon hit with a light bulb when I was flying in and noticed the cars were driving on the same side as Americans do! Hmm. Well this was kinda great because now I don't have to panic when crossing the road or getting into a cab.

But I had my first huge moment when it came to rule number one... I CAN drink the tap water and I don't need a water bottle to brush my teeth! I used tap water to brush my teeth and fill up my water bottle and spend the first day kind of waiting to feel sick because I had used the tap water. But I never did! This is definitely a little different for me but I'm okay with that because it makes things a little bit easier.

The other nice thing is that I can shower daily and still have hot water!! I have gone a long time without a shower when I was in various parts of the world (no number of days will be revealed but trust me - it was a long time). So I kind of assume I will be a little grimy at points. But it is so refreshing not to worry about that here! I have to deal with some weird water pressure stuff but it's nothing this girl can't handle.

Everything else that is a part of my spidey sense has proven helpful while adjusting to life to Prague. There have been new things to adjust to but we'll get to that later this week.

So my advice - think about these Ten Commandments when traveling because they prove to be rather useful. There are more that I could add to it but we'll keep it at ten for now. So pack those bags and kick in your spidey sense :)

Picture at the top was taken while waiting for the tram in the snow and rain the other night.

1 comment:

  1. Good advice- and so glad we picked the trip that you can drink the tap water and get a hot shower to join you. Cant wait to hear all the Prague tips!

    ReplyDelete

leave me some love! xoxo