Sunday, January 29, 2012

temporary home

Everyone wants to leave town and travel when they're young. I went out and traveled the world, but I always came back home. Home has a way of making everything better, always. I dreamed of traveling when I got older and never settling down. It was only recently that that I realized that's not what I want. Years ago, I couldn't imagine living anyway for more than a few years. I wanted to be able to pick up and more at a moment's notice.

I wanted to have roots but never really put
them down too long. I wanted to travel my whole life and see everything I could. I dreamed of going to big cities and to small villages alike. But now all I want to do is put my roots down in my county. I mean I didn't even leave my county for school. I just went to the other end of it (about an hour away). Of course I still want to travel when I can. There is so much out there to see and experience. The great thing about teaching is that I can travel in the summers. And believe me, I plan on! I mean I haven't stopped traveling and am student teaching overseas!

The other week, I was driving around my hometown after the holidays and break was officially over. At school, I had an apartment waiting for me with all my stuff in it. I had classes and two jobs to pick back up and roll with for a year. And all I wanted was to never have to leave my hometown. I have grown so attached to everything it has to offer. But at the same time, I loved that my county was home to both my "home" and my school "home." I love everything about college life right now. This year is going to be the best one so far I think! Senior year and independence look good on me :)

However, I realize that, in the words of Carrie Underwood,
this is my temporary home. This will not be my home forever.
I will not be here one day but in a much better place.
But for now, this is what I have to say about my hometown:

These roads are mapped out on the back of my hand.
These buildings are homes to so many memories.
These people went from friends to family.
This is where I learned to live, to laugh, and to love.
This is where I learned to drive a car and play lacrosse.
This is where my heart found it's home on the corner of
"The Middle-of-Nowhere Street" and "Suburbia Ave" in Perkasie, PA - Bucks County.


No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love! xoxo